I was recently asked which are my favorite self-help books to find healing. So I perused my shelves and pulled out the ones that I have found most helpful for myself and the clients that I have worked with over the years. Here are the top 6:
1. The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by J. Gottman
I believe that everyone who is in a relationship or looking for one should read this book. It gives so many helpful ways to keep perspective on yourself and the relationship as well as how to develop the friendship, problem-solve and get through the ups and downs.
2. Conquer Your Critical Inner Voice by R. Firestone, L. Firestone, & J. Catlett
This book does what it says. It helps to identify the critical messages that we tell ourselves that work to keep us unhappy. Then it helps figure out how to confront and change these messages into ones that are not destructive.
3. Letting Go of Shame: Understanding How Shame Affects Your Life by R. Potter-Efron & P. Potter-Effron
This book is similar to the previous one in that it educates about shame and helps us to heal from the shameful messages in our lives.
4. Yes, Your Teen is Crazy!: Loving Your Teen Without Losing Your Mind by M. Bradley
The title sums it up perfectly. It normalizes and gives ideas to parents who are feeling helpless.
5. Thee Good Divorce: Keeping Your Family Together When Your Marriage Comes Apart by C. Ahrons
You have tried everything and are now at the last possible option. This book helps the process to be one that is focused on the kids and collaborative rather than conflict-ridden.
6. I Heart Female Orgasm by D. Solot & M. Miller
What is not to love? Everything you wanted to know and more.